Kindertransport Memory Quilt Square

Quilt 2, Square 18

Artist: Henry H. Kahn


COLOGNE: On February 2, 1939, two weeks after my 16th birthday, my parents brought me to the railroad station where I joined a group of children in the train. I said good-bye to my parents and became part of the “Kindertransport.”

LONDON: On February 3, 1939, I was picked up at Liverpool Street station by my sponsors, whom I did not know.  I lived with them until shortly after the war broke out, September 1, 1939. Since I was working by this time and the family was evacuating to a location outside of London, I moved to a one room lodging at Finsbury Park.  On July 3, 1940, I was interned and sent to Campton Park, near London. On July 4, I together with others, was shipped by train to Hyton, a camp near —

LIVERPOOL: I stayed there until July 10, on which day we were taken aboard the HMT Dunera, with about 2500 other internees and German and Italian POWs. That very night the ship sailed North into the Irish Sea.  The ship was torpedoed, the torpedo made a dent into the hull, but did not explode. The Dunera continued its journey west and finally south. It attempted to take on provisions in Freetown (7/24). However, since a few days earlier, a sea battle with a German raider had taken place in the mid-Atlantic and allied ships had to be refitted, the port could not accommodate the Dunera.  Hence she proceeded to —

TAKORADI, West Africa: (7/27 and 7/28), The next stop was —

CAPETOWN: (8/8/ and 8/9), where we took on further supplies and then continued east until we reached —

SYDNEY, Australia: (9/6), We were taken off the ship and traveled by rail 18 hours [into] the interior.  A new camp had been built and was ready for us near —

HAY: (9/7), The very next morning 13 people, including myself, were returned to —

SYDNEY: After staying in Malabar Prison for about 8 days, the 13 of us were brought back to the Dunera (10/16).  She set sail and a few days later reached Fremantle, the port of —

PERTH: (9/24), We took on provisions and sailed to —

BOMBAY, India: (10/6), The 13 former internees disembarked, were housed by the Jewish Relief Association and with certain restrictions, were free to do as they pleased.  For the next five years I lived in India — Bombay and —

MADRAS: On March 1, 1946, I went to —

COCHIN: where, on the 3rd of that month, I boarded the “Clarksburg Victory,” an American freighter, and sailed for the United States of America, arriving at —

CAMDEN, NJ: on April 3, 1946.  The next day I crossed the Delaware River to Philadelphia, where I took the train to —

NEW YORK: I have lived in New York City since that time, except for 6 months and 13 days when I served in the United States Army.  I was honorably discharged because the draft law had expired.



About the Memory Quilts Return To Home Page


Home  |  History  |  Exhibits  |  Voices of the Kindertransport  |  Events  |  Resources  |  About Us  | Join or Donate  |  Contact Us  |  Find us on Facebook

The Kindertransport Association